I did something this year that I haven’t done since I was a kid. I challenged myself to read a specific number of books. The last time I did that, I was participating in the local library’s Summer Reading Program.
By the way, if you’re ever in the area of Haven, Kansas, you have GOT to check out the library. For a small town, they have the best library ever. Granted, I may be a little bit biased. But still. It’s pretty epic.
I’ve wanted to start reading more, but it’s difficult with such a busy schedule. And I don’t just mean audiobooks. I love audiobooks, but I love “real” reading too. There’s nothing as wonderful as sitting down with a story in your hands, stretching your brain to learn new words or marveling at an author’s turn of phrase.
So I have determined to read at least 16 books this year. Originally I started out with 15, but I finished a book on January 6 or so, one that I had been reading for a while. And I didn’t think it was fair to count.
I’ve been trying to keep my Goodreads account up to date as best I can, but more books I want to read come out on a daily basis. And keeping my To Read list recent is crazy hard. But I’ve certainly got enough on there to be going on with.
So I thought I’d share the titles on my 2017 Reading List in case anyone else is interested in following along. This list is not exhaustive. It’s actually just the ones that popped out to me off my Goodreads To Read list.
- The Wheel of Time: Lord of Chaos (Robert Jordan) – Currently Reading
- Demon: A Memoir (Tosca Lee)
- Havah: The Story of Eve (Tosca Lee)
- BoneMan’s Daughters (Ted Dekker)
- Never to Live (Just B. Jordan)
- A Time to Die (Nadine Brandes)
- Robin: Lady of Legend (R.M. ArceJaeger)
- Blood for Blood (Ben Wolf)
- Throne of Glass (Sarah J. Maas)
- Rings of Anubis (E. Catherine Tobler)
- Secrets Kept (J.L. Mbewe)
- Blood Mercy: Thicker Than Water (Janeen Ippolito)
- Black Tiger (Sara Baysinger)
- The Ghost Box (Mike Duran)
- The Healer’s Rune (Lauricia Matuska)
- The Tenant of Wildfell Hall (Anne Bronte)
- Third Daughter (Susan Kaye Quinn)
- The Warrior’s Seal (Ronie Kendig)
- The Sea of Tranquility (Katja Millay)
- The Wealthy Freelancer (Pete Savage & Steve Slaunwhite) – Currently Reading
- The Normal Christian Life (Watchman Nee) – Currently Reading
- My Utmost for His Highest (Oswald Chambers) – Currently Reading
- In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day: How to Survive and Thrive when Opportunity Roars (Mark Batterson)
- Storyworld First: Creating a Unique Fantasy World for Your Novel (Jill Williamson)
- Christian Horror: On the Compatibility of a Biblical Worldview and the Horror Genre (Mike Duran)
And not to leave out my audiobook picks for this year, this is what I’m listening to (or at least planning to listen to) this year.
- The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams) – Currently Reading
- The Martian (Andy Weir)
- Hounded (Kevin Hearne)
- Death Without Company (Craig Johnson)
So what are you reading right now? What’s on your list? Do you recognize any of these titles? I can say with some amount of fangirlish excitement that I know many of these authors personally. So even before I’ve read their books, let me just encourage you to grab a copy. Because they’re all pretty amazing people. Just saying.